Black Friday shopping not your thing? Would you rather rock out to some of the greatest hits by rock legends the Grateful Dead? If yes, River Street Jazz Cafe has the event for you. On Friday, Nov. 29, Jam Stampede will perform at 10 p.m. at the Cafe. This 21 year-old and over show will feature sets from the Grateful Dead which will be sure to leave you with nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
But before you groove, check out these facts about the Grateful Dead and learn about our next act, Jam Stampede.
- The Grateful Dead was born during the psychedelic music trend of the 1960s which had flavors of rock, folk, blues, country, and jazz elements.
- Original band members were lead guitarist and vocalist Jerry Garcia, guitarist and vocalist Bob Weir, keyboard player Ron (“Pigpen”) McKernan, bassist Phil Lesh, and drummer Bill Kreutzmann.
- According to Mercury News, the band performed its first gig on Dec. 4, 1965, at a house near the San Jose Civic Auditorium, where the Rolling Stones were playing that same evening.
- Later members included drummer Mickey Hart, keyboard player Tom Constanten, keyboard player Keith Godchaux, vocalist Donna Godchaux, and keyboard player and vocalist Brent Mydland.
- Their song “Touch of Grey” peaked at #1 on the Billboard Charts in 1987.
- The band enjoyed only one #1 hit and three top 10 songs.
- When Jerry Garcia passed, the band decided to end its career as the Grateful Dead but remaining members did continue to make music.
- In 1994, the Dead was the fifth-highest grossing touring act, taking in $52.4 million for the North American concert industry.
- The band never won a Grammy until 2007 when they received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Who is Jam Stampede?
Founded in 2009, Jam Stampede has seasoned performers from New York and Pennsylvania. The band formed by chance and stuck together after one sold-out show in Plains, Pa. Now the crew jams at music festivals and various venues.
The group considers the Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan some of their influences on their unique sound.
Ready to Rock with Jam Stampede?
Join the crowd at the show on Nov. 29 for “Jam Stampede: Two Great Sets of the Grateful Dead.” The doors open at 8 p.m. and the show starts at 10 p.m. Advanced tickets are $10 and $18 day of. You can purchase tickets online at HoldMyTicket. The show is for ages 21 and older.
JOIN US AT THE RIVER STREET JAZZ CAFE!
Now that you refreshed your Grateful Dead knowledge, RESERVE YOUR TICKET for the next show! The River Street Jazz Cafe’s lineup includes all kinds of music, so there is something for everyone. Come early to the show and grab a bite to eat. We have A FULL MENU of small plates, appetizers, drinks, and entrees for you to choose from.