In January 1966, one band made its debut performance at the Countdown Club in London’s Palace Gate. Playing for five hours with only a 20-minute intermission, the group was set for stardom. That band would be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in December 1995, with millions of records sold. If you haven’t figured it out, we’re talking about the legendary Pink Floyd.
In honor of the anniversary of its debut performance, let’s take a look at some Pink Floyd facts:
- The Name. For most of the 1960s, the band was known as “The Pink Floyd Sound.” But their name is actually in tribute of two blues artists, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Original frontman, Syd Barrett took parts of each name, hence Pink Floyd.
- Conspiracy. Fans of the album The Dark Side of the Moon believe that it was intentionally made to synchronize with the 1939 musical The Wizard of Oz. Though a near-perfect match, the band denies this coincidence.
- One top hit. Despite album successes, Pink Floyd has only topped the Hot 100 Singles Billboard Chart once in their entire careers with the song, “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)” from their album The Wall.
- Last Live Show. In 2005, Roger Waters reunited with David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright to perform together as part of Live8. It was the first time they were back together since 1981, and the very last performance they’ve done.
- Final Album. Pink Floyd’s final album, The Endless River, was released in 2014. Produced six years after keyboardist Rick Wright’s death in 2008, The Endless River became the most pre-ordered album of all time on Amazon UK at the time of its release.
Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time.
If your New Year’s resolution was to hear great live music on the regular, do we have the show for you. Kick-off the weekend with the Pink Floyd tribute band Space Force on Saturday, January 4. The doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the music begins at 9:30 p.m. This 21 years and older show is $10 for advanced tickets or $13 the day of the show. Get your tickets now at HoldMyTicket.
Space Force will play two full sets of Pink Floyd favorites, deep cuts, and Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety.
Rock and Roll at River Street Jazz Cafe All Decade Long.
GET READY FOR A NEW DECADE WITH RIVER STREET JAZZ CAFE AS WE PREPARE FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF GREAT SHOWS OF VARIOUS GENRES, WITH A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE. ENJOY OUR FULL MENU OF SMALL PLATES, APPETIZERS, DRINKS, AND ENTREES WHILE YOU SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE MUSICIANS OR FIND NEW ONES TO LOVE.